Located AtStaffordshire Record Office
LevelCollection
Alt Ref NoD859; D861, D4324, D4359, D5770 (pt), 5966, 7516/1, D7555/1, 7598
TitleRecords of the Meynell and Meynell-Ingram family of Hoar Cross Hall
Administrative HistoryCol. Hugo Meynell was the eldest son of Francis Hugo Lindley Meynell, and Lady Dorothy Legge, daughter of the 6th Earl of Dartmouth. In 1905 F.H.L. Meynell's father, Hon. Frederick George Lindley Wood, fourth son of the first Viscount Halifax, took his sister, Emily Meynell-Ingram's name on succeeding to the Laughton (Lincolnshire) and Hoar Cross Estates. He married Lady Mary Lyndsay, third daughter of the 25th Earl of Crawford and Balcarres. Much of the personal correspondence (D861/P/1) is that between Francis Meynell and his wife, parents and members of the Wood family, including the first Earl of Halifax. Further family correspondence is to be found among the papers deposited by Lady Dorothy Meynell, (D859/2), along with correspondence of members of the Legge family (D859/1).
The earliest of the family settlements (D861/T/1) is that of the marriage of Littleton Poyntz Meynell, of Bradley Hall, near Ashbourne, Derbyshire, 1720/1 (descended from a branch of the Meynells of Meynell Langley in the 17th century). In 1751 he acquired a third of the manor of Tyrley, including Heighley Castle, and property in Ashley etc. (see p.9.) from the heir of the Gerards, a number of whose 17th century family settlements appear among the title deeds (D861/T/3). The family seat, however, moved to Hoar Cross, purchased in 1794 by his grandson, Hugo Meynell junior, 1759-1800, from the Earl of Shrewsbury, title deeds of which survive from 1730 (D861/T/2). During the 19th century this estate was further consolidated. Through the marriage in 1782 of Hugo Meynell junior to Elizabeth Ingram Shepheard, daughter of Viscountess Irwin, only daughter of Samuel Shepheard, the family inherited the Ingram estates in Lincolnshire, acquired by Sir Arthur Ingram in the first half of the 17th century to which title deeds exist from the 14th-17th centuries (D861/T/4/1/5-116). Although Hugo Meynell did not take the name and arms of Ingram as directed in Viscount Irwin's will, his son Hugo Charles did so in 1841 on inheriting Temple Newsam, Yorkshire.
Of estate records, correspondence relating to both Laughton and Hoar Cross survives from 1872 to the early 20th century, with some 17th century correspondence and a single rental of the Ingram estates in Lincolnshire. There is also one Hoar Cross rental covering the years 1856-1874, with summary accounts from 1879-1890. Annual accounts only from 1892-1897 survive for Yorkshire. Although there are a number of surveys and valuations of the Staffordshire (Gerard) and Lincolnshire estates in the 18th century and of Hoar Cross in the 19th century, only two maps of parts of the Hoar Cross estate, both dating from the 1840s, are to be found in the collection. [A map of 1829 is reportedly displayed in the Meynell-Ingram Arms and a photocopy at Staffordshire Record Office has the accession reference 6839.] Other estate papers include records of Pirehill Hundred Court, 1752-1781, and late 17th-19th century manorial records for Agardsley, Tyrley and Winnington (1747 and 1763 only). The court book for Tyrley, 1684-1833, includes probates and administrations and some 17th century inventories. The most noteworthy papers relating to Hoar Cross are those relating to the building of the church by Emily Charlotte Meynell-Ingram in memory of her husband who died in 1871. It was designed by G.F.Bodley and consecrated in 1876.
Date1316-1942
Related MaterialSee also 6839, photocopy of map of the "Horecross estate", 1829.
    Powered by CalmView© 2008-2021